Barnet Threat averted – but not for long…
Many thanks to those of you who wrote to the Mayor of London asking him to over-rule Barnet’s Planning Committee’s decision to grant planning permission for Hasmonean School to expand onto Green Belt Land in Barnet. Mr Khan agreed with campaigners and the Barnet Planning Officer who recommended the application be refused and has turned down the application stating: “Whilst the Mayor recognised the importance of addressing educational need, he was of the opinion that the proposed footprint of the school, and the extent of development on Green Belt land and open space, is excessive.”
Sadly, the saga does not end here. We understand from campaigners that the applicant is asking the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Sajid Javid, to call in the decision. We are informed it will take 1-2 weeks approximately for him to consider this request. If he decides to “call-in” the application then we can expect a full public enquiry.
More information about ‘call-ins’ can be found here.
What can LGBC members do?
Local Campaigners and the London Assembly Member for Camden and Barnet where the school is located are encouraging as many people as possible to email their concerns to Sajid Javid IMMEDIATELY and no later than Friday August 4.
a. The Case Details:
- GLA Case No: 4155
- LPA ref. 16/6662/FUL
- Site: Hasmonean High School, 2-4 Page Street, NW7 2EU
b. The following reasons to uphold the Mayor’s decision:
- The Barnet Council Planning Officer’s recommendation of refusal
- 600 local objections.
- Barnet Council Planning Committee’s very narrow vote (6-5) to grant planning permission, going against their Planning Officer and local objections
- The Mayor’s Final Decision report, refusing the application, concluding that on balance harm would be done to the Green Belt and the application did not warrant very special circumstance, and out right refusing the application.
- It would set an extremely worrying precedent to support an application which both Barnet and GLA planners regard as posing a substantial threat to the Metropolitan Green Belt as well as failing to comply with the London Plan or demonstrating the very special circumstances to warrant an exception to National Policy
2. Send your email to: (no attachments – they will not make it through security!):
a. The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, the Rt Hon Sajid Javid MP: email@example.com
b. You may also wish to cc the Mayor of London, Deputy Mayors and Planners at the GLA as well Andrew Dismore, London Assembly Member for Camden and Barnet:
- Do also forward any correspondence to firstname.lastname@example.org!